Diamondville is a former coal mining camp located almost on top of Kemmerer. Apparently, an awful lot of the folks still in town work for the coal mines in the area. Diamondville got the name from that superior-grade coal, because it resembled black diamonds. Harrison Church first discovered coal here in 1868. He built a cabin for himself on the hill above the Hams Fork River, then went to Minneapolis where he got the funding for the Hams Fork River Coal Company, which was bought by Anaconda Mining and renamed the Diamond Coal and Coke Company.

Most of the original settlers in Diamondville came from the mining camp at Almy after several explosions underground closed the coal mines there. The Diamondville mine was in operation until August, 1930. The miners these days are working in the nearby open pit mine run by Pittsburgh & Midway Coal Company.