The first homestead rights in the area of Hudson were filed by George Rogers but he died before they were "proved up." So his wife, Emma (Hudson) Rogers "proved up" on the land in 1890. Come 1905, Emma and her brother, Daniel Hudson, released their homestead rights. The mineral rights were immediately bought by J.C. Hickey of the Wyoming & Western Railroad. That same year, Hickey's attorney filed claims on 67 mineral and oil leases all up and down the Hudson Valley.

Wagon mines (coal) were operating quickly but the railroad finally arrived in 1907-8. The coal mines then began running 24 hours a day up into the 1920's. Hudson itself may have reached a population high of 1,500 but there were estimates of at least 10,000 people working the mines in the area. Many of the cattle ranchers in Fremont County brought their herds to Hudson for shipment. Hudson was also known for the number of bawdy houses in town, more bawdy houses per capita than any other town in Wyoming. And the last one didn't shut down until the 1950's, although the last coal mine closed in 1941.